Monday, March 26, 2007

Solid start...

The first triathlon of the season was on Saturday in Smithfield Virginia. I found myself on the podium in the 35-39 age group, although it was the wrong step. I guess a third place is a good start to the season.

Smithfield was a 300m pool swim, more of a splash and dash. My time in the swim is improving, with more to go. The bike leg was on smooth and flat roads, with one sharp left hand turn. There was a 10 knot side/head wind for most of the bike. I wasn't happy with my bike time, which was the eighth fastest overall. My time was 46 seconds slower than the fastest rider and over a 10 mile course I should've been faster. Maybe I need more hills? I felt great after my run. The course was an out and back with the first/last half mile run through a neighborhood and the remaining course was on a frontage road. I tried to pick off runners in front of me and was never passed. I wasn't passed on any of the three legs (even managed to pass someone in the pool). The run split showed a PR for a 5k. And that was with a swim/bike warm up...

I'm happy with the race time, considering it's (1) early in the season and I haven't done any speed work yet, and (2) I've been on antibiotics for a sinus/ear infection since last Wednesday.

The next triathlon is Angels Triathlon on April 15th with the Kinetic Sprint the following weekend.

I'm ready for speed work, I want to get faster.

To race fast you have to train fast...

4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Good to hear bro! Been waiting on that report.
Excellent work considering all the illnesses, and medications for it. And dammit, it is early. For me, this is the end of my off-season. I'm ready to start racing

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

indeed.............train like ya stole it....juzz remember to recover like ya stole it also....

11:14 AM  
Blogger SAMBO said...

i'd blame the slow bike time on your slack training partner that moved away!

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job bro. You are da man. Can I shave your legs next go around? Pretty please?

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home