Monday, April 16, 2007


Wow, it's been a while since I've posted. Haven't done much other than work, ride, swim and run. Well not much running since I turned my ankle on a trail run a week ago.

Yesterday I competed in the Angels Triathlon in Lynchburg Virginia. This was another pool sprint. The race is held in downtown L'burg at the YMCA so the bike and run both start and end on (mostly closed) city streets. My first triathlon was this race last year, so I was looking forward to see how I've progressed.

Race conditions couldn't have been any more different from last year. Mid 40s with a steady rain greeted the racers and the rain never let up during the race. Great cyclocross weather. Lousy tri weather. Going from an 80+ degree pool to a 45 degree rainy transition wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My gear stayed dry under a trash bag so that helped with the transition.

The swim went well and I took 46 seconds off of my time from last year. I felt consistent and made it under the lane lines easily. Out of the pool and into the rain, I had a bit of trouble getting a long sleeved jersey on but still had a faster T1 time from last year. Unracked the bike and started running to the mount line, one step over the line and I had a smooth running mount. Cyclocross skills are transferable.

I hammered the bike and surprise, bettered my time from last year. I had a time in my mind where I should be a the turn around and was a minute ahead. I never noticed the cold or rain while on the bike, it was a blast. Ended up with the 5th fastest bike split. Coming into T2 I felt great, but it was a slower time than last year. But even with my slower time, my T2 was 9th fastest overall.

Took off on the run and after a few 90 degree turns, there is a two block descent to the river trail. Once on the trail I got a side stitch. Worse damn side cramp I can remember having. Tried stretching it while I was running, pushed on my rib cage, nothing really helped. Finally the pain subsided at the turn around and I upped the pace. I was able to reel in a couple of runners and hit the 2 block climb back to main street and the finish. The run was a bit faster this year, but not as fast as the Smithfield tri.

I took almost 3 minutes off of last year's time. Unfortunately, I missed my goal time for the race by two and a half minutes, damn side stitch.

Overall, it was a good race even with the lousy weather and missing my time goal. I finished 14th overall out of 188 men. And I won the 35-39 age group, so I am happy with the race. And the improvement.

This weekend will be the first open water swim triathlon. Water temps will be in the mid 50s. Yep, I am ready for summer. After next weekend, I'll be focusing on XTERRA and dirt duathlons. The next phase of the season begins soon...


Blogger joe york said...

Mark you are the man great job on the race.. If you keep this up will be seeing your picture somewhere besides the post office.. just kidding your awsome man keep up the good work..

4:31 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Good job bro!
See ya next weekend???

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home