Thursday, May 17, 2007

Dirty Du results...

Rolled into Camp Hilbert in time to see the kids race. I've gotta give a shout to Endorphin Fitness and their efforts to get kids involved in endurance sports. Pretty much every kid in the race was kitted in the Red Endorphin Fitness shorts and singlet. Impressive and Encouraging to see kids racing. I helped direct them into the singletrack. Once they went past me, it was time to get the transition set up and the inevitable multiple trips to the head... race nerves and all.

A strong field lined up for the first run which was 3.5-3.6 mile single track. Damn, I love running on single track. I felt good and rolled into the first transition to start the first of two laps on the deluxe in Hilbert's tight trails. The trail felt slick at the beginning but firmed up as the race progressed. I felt faster on the second lap which was the goal and with the tacky trails, quite possible. The second run leg was a two lap on a cross-country like course. My only complaint was the many 90 degree and greater turns on the course. These sapped any momentum I built. I passed a few people and a few passed me. I'm happy with my effort. My legs probably hadn't fully recovered from their thrashing at the uwharrie race six days prior. I finished 10th overall and 6th in the big 30-39 age group.

Hung out after the race and caught up with Mark C and met Juston M. Juston races for Vicious Cycles and rolled past me on the second lap of the bike leg astride a nice Motivator 29'er. Gotta love the orange color. I talked with Bill S as he was at Uwharrie the week before. This crowd has the cyclocross feel where everyone races hard but cheers and supports all the competitors. Gotta be Something in the dirt...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. Need to get some more dirt in my teeth.

7:45 AM  
Blogger MRussell said...

It was a lot of Fun. The Camp Hilbert trails are great.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Liz Schleeper said...

Mark, several of us flatlanders will be camping and doing one of the Sherando loops on Sunday. Would love to have you join us. Kevin may or may not be there after his race in Baltimore on Saturday.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home