Monday, October 01, 2007

Ed Sander Cross...

This race didn't go as well as I had planned. I had a third row call up but botched the start when I didn't punch it as I should have on the prologue section. I didn't have the aggressiveness that I normally have and a few riders came around me before the first barriers. At the barrier someone stacked it up in front of me and went down, I dismounted and tried to go around him, but he stood up at the wrong time. My crank/pedal jammed into his back and I'm sure he'll have a nice bruise. Unfortunately, this dropped my chain and I had to stop and throw it back on. Not a good start.

The rest of the race was spent reeling in riders and staying smooth. I was passed by some and pulled a few riders back. The Pond section of the course with the 90deg. turns was where I made up the most time. I would lose time on the road section. Just like Charm City I would make up time in the technical sections but cede it back on the power sections.

Not sure who it was, maybe FatMarc, but someone yelled for me to catch and pass a HVB rider on the last lap. I nodded and took off after him in the road section. I could see that his head was dropped and I made sure I was in front of him before the run up section at the far side of the course. I held him off going up the last hill and descended down the off camber hill. I was still ahead of him at the gravel pit right before the finish and held him off at the line as his rear tubular rolled off the rim. Quite an exciting finish even if it was for 20th place.

I heard a lot of people cheering for me and Holly even remarked that she heard them cheering for me. My Peoples... Thank You.

short notes:
  • Parker was sporting his IF jersey and was spreading lots of Indy Fab Love.
  • Andrew McK didn't ride with us to the race, I guess he'd rather hang out with Jeremiah than Parker... Andrew had a solid race, but may need to work on the remounts.
  • Patrick McK also had a solid race and took 2nd (even though the results show 3rd erroneously) in the Mabra Junior race. Nice Job at your first 'cross race.
  • Chris N won the 35+ B race but couldn't stay for the podium since he has a 1 month old at home. Parker's Jogger filled in for Chris on at the top of the podium. Great win Chris.
  • We stayed for the Elite race and rang the cowbell for Jeremiah. Go JB!!
  • On the ride home my throat started to hurt, and by the time we were in Winchester, it was on fire. This led to a nice Head Cold in time for Sunday Night Football. Luckily, this is a rest week and next weekend is open. I should be back in time for the start of the VA series.
Thank You Holly.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

Good Onya Mate! I'm so itching for a CX race, but it aint gonna happen for a while.
Due to scheduling idiocracy-- I will be missing the first four races of the VACX series. Out of all the weekends we have in the Fall and Winter lets bunch them all together with big established races that have used the sam dates for years (brilliant) !
Good to see you getting things started Mark, and spreading the IF'n LOVE!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Thanks Mark!

I felt bad about missing the podium, but family takes priority. I was just glad that I was able to race.

The stroller was a nice touch. I was cracking up when I saw the photos this morning. Thanks for that.

Get well. You'll rock the VACX series!

Chris

9:31 AM  
Blogger chris d said...

Now I'm itching to cross it up. And I'm with Kev on the stupid schedule. Annoying. Almost every weekend in November is wide open.

10:02 PM  
Blogger SAMBO said...

come on down to GA...where they are still racing just one day a weekend.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home