Thursday, February 21, 2008

Belgium Bound...

Bought my plane ticket to Belgium today. I had set a price level that I would not go over. I had found a few tickets that were below that level but when I inquired about the airline's bike policy, the oversize charge would make it cost prohibitive. 90 bucks tacked on each way, WTF??

I'll be flying out on April 2nd on United and then back on Austrian Air, no upcharges for the bike box. woo hoo. Sam already has a car reserved for us and we'll be staying at Tom's (TIMMY) bachelor pad near Antwerp.
The Tour of Flanders is the reason for the trip. Sam and I did the 85 mile cyclotourist version 3 years ago, but this year we are planning on doing the full course on the Saturday before the pros tackle the Ronde. 160+ miles of beautiful Belgium countryside. Plus bergs, cobbles, and Europeans smoking at the rest stops. It is a cycling mecca. I'd like to make it to the cyclocross Masters Worlds after reading Greg's recaps on his Mud and Cowbells blog. Maybe in a couple of years, I'll make that pilgrimage. But this year it's all about the Ronde van Vlaanderen.
Back to Belgium. Plus a side trip to Amsterdam. Can't go to Europe without a day in Amsterdam...

8 Comments:

Blogger John(ny) said...

Have a great trip. I dragged my fam over there in 2005 to watch the Boonen Mattan Belgian sandwich for Flanders, Ghent Wevelgem and Roubaix. A trip I'll never forget. I didn't bring a bike, though......

Johnny

12:36 AM  
Blogger SAMBO said...

Dude you Rock!!!! It will be an awesome trip.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So dang jellycakes I can't stand it. Enjoy.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I'll be doing a Disney cruise around then, or I'd try and make it happen!
You and Sambo will have good times i'm sure...

1:09 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Somone got themselves a SWEET hall pass! Right on! Kiss the ground for me when you get there.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That rocks! I'm looking forward to reading about the adventure.

4:31 PM  
Blogger 34x18 said...

why don't you stick arond and do the Master's MTB World Cup in Houffalize? Awesome course, and I have a Ti Deluxe you can race...

2:07 PM  
Blogger MRussell said...

Thanks Ken, but my "kitchen pass" ends on the 8th. I appreciate the offer. Can you make the Ronde?

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home