Monday, December 10, 2007

new season...

My offseason lasted a day.

I cleaned the dirt/mulch left on my swim goggles from my last XTERRA race in August and started swimming. I probably should have been swimming once or twice a week through cyclocross season, but there are only so many hours in the day and something had to give.

The swimming wasn't as bad as I imagined. I didn't drown. Or sink to the bottom. I actually made it across the length of the pool without stopping. A good thing I think.

My swimming is the weakest leg for me, and it's something I want to improve. I am tired of coming out of the water in mid-pack and having to work my tail off to make up places on the bike leg (leaving little in the tank for the run). This is especially difficult in the XTERRA events as I have to get around the fish on the singletrack. Most of them are considerate, but there have been some that think they can ride me off of their wheel. Not that I'm super fast or anything, but if I roll up on another competitor and announce my presence and ask for a bit of room, don't speed up like you're going to drop me.

Anyway, I'm focusing on the swim this winter and early spring so I can mitigate some of those issues. I will be working with my friend Connie over the winter on drills and specific workouts to, hopefully make this cyclist a swimmer/cyclist.

2 Comments:

Blogger Taz Brown said...

hey Mark, wanna teach me to swim?

11:50 PM  
Blogger MRussell said...

Not sure I would be able to teach swimming in a distance learning environment. Now if you would buy me a ticket to Glenwood Springs...

Why swim in water when you can ride on top of it? How's the boarding?

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home