Friday, January 23, 2009

the start...

It's a long season. Mountain bike and multisport races start in January and won't end until September. Add to that, cyclocross and it's a couple more months of racing. That's a lot of time training and racing, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

The season started last weekend with the Virginia Beach Winter Endurance Challenge. From what I heard, Virginia Beach officials asked Kale Running to promote and run this event. How's that for civic support? Saturday was the day of cyclocross racing with a large purse up for grabs. Sunday was committed to running and a duathlon, my event. Nice little race to prime the pump for the season. It was a 5k run, 20k mtn bike, 5k run, with the majority of the race on dirt. Looking at the distance coming into the event I was shooting for a 1:30 time. At the end I came home with a 1:28:37. Not too bad with a bit over a month of run training in my legs and zero cycling. The first run leg was solid, and I quickly warmed up from the chilly air that greeted the morning. Once on the bike, it's time to pay the rent. Well with no riding in the legs, that check bounced. No snap and no power in the legs, this will be something to remember and work on this spring. The second run leg is always painful, it's just the nature of the beast that is duathlon. I took it easy the first half mile of the course and tried to get the circles out of my legs. A little after the first mile, Sally came past me and I settled in next to her. We chit-chatted as we ran along. Sally was doing the run legs of the coed relay, while hubby Mike did the bike portion. It was great to run along with her, she is part of the TriPower crew that I graviate towards at races. Great People, Good Friends. It was great to see my 757 peeps. I finished strong, feeling the euphoria of a finished race. whew, I love that feeling. I missed the podium in the big 35-39 age group by 9 seconds, coming in 4th in AG and 12th overall. Time to work.

The weekend was made even better by making it a family trip. We traveled to the Beach on Saturday and spent the afternoon at the Virginia Aquarium. Parker loved the place, what kid doesn't like aquariums? We stayed with my Aunt Jean and it's always great to see her and spend time with her.

Plus the Steelers won the AFC Championship. Yeah it was a great weekend.

1 Comments:

Blogger Morgan said...

Thanks for the comment - I can see from your blog that you know it personally to be true : ) And who doesn't love aquariums?

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home